Monday, August 4, 2014

Why Do I Do It?

My sisters-in-law have commented on how well I get along with their kids. I think it's because I get down on their level and let them talk to me. I play their games and try to make sure each child knows how special they are. Why do I do it?

personal photo: The Two Marilyns
I am inspired by my own Aunt Marilyn, better known as Aunt Mar. Aunt Mar is my dad's sister, and she is the one person who has always been constant in my life. She's the one who was there for me when I was an angsty teen. She was there for me when life started throwing more lemons at me than I could handle. And she was the one who celebrated every success in my life, no matter how small. She taught me how special I am to her, so now I want to pay it forward.

Moms and Dads have a lot on their plates. They have to work and run their households. Sometimes the kids get sick or they behave difficultly, and Mom and Dad have to be disciplinarians. They never get to stop being the parents. Some kids have a hard time turning to their parents when they need help, like I did. Sometimes Mom and Dad need a break, and I want to be able to lend a helping hand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment